Thursday, January 24, 2013
Rare Jewel: Chapter 10
Here are the notes for Chapter 10.
The Sin of Murmuring
1. The more mercies you have, the viler is your sin of murmuring. There can be no afflictions greater than the mercies you enjoy. (breath, regeneration, preaching) Job 2:10 Shall we receive good at the hand of God and not evil?
2. What sin it is to murmur for small things not received.
3. Murmuring is even more odious in the one blessed with abilities and wisdom.
4. Consider, all that you have has been freely given to you. We are at God's table daily, and it is free. Who are you as a guest to complain ?
5. So often, when we do receive mercy, we remain discontent.
6. What shame to murmur when God has raised you already from such a low position.
7. Consider what a sinner you were and how you have been raised. How can you then murmur?
8. If you are of so little service to God, why would he be serviceable to you?
9. Maybe God is humbling you. Observe it and be humbled.
10. Seriously consider the affliction if it seems a remarkable, extraordinary providence. It is best to fall down before God and not resist.
11. If the affliction has run long, it is more noxious to continue in discontent. A new cart may creak and make a noise, but after it has been used awhile, it will not do so.