Books by Lorie Ann Grover

Books by Lorie Ann Grover
Kirkus Starred Review, Firstborn: "A fantasy that reads like a lost history tome and deftly examines issues of gender...An engrossing story with welcome depths."

Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Rheumatoid Factor: 2/4/10

I find folks are curious about rheumatoid arthritis so I thought I'd occasionally post about the disease. It may be a metaphor or it may be medical. Autoimmune diseases run in packs so here's the round up of mine:

1. Rheumatoid Arthritis
2. Sjogren's Syndrome
3. Former Hashimoto's Disease
4. Reynaud's Disease
5. Interstitial Cystitis

So those are the monkeys on back.

And here's a note about the title of these blogs. The rheumatoid factor is a test that can verify someone has rheumatoid arthritis. RF is an autoantibody in 80% of people with the disease, and close to 100% in Sjogren's patients. The antibodies are directed against the organisms own tissues.

Okay, here's my metaphor for today:

RA feels like someone has turned my joint tuning keys too tightly.

Yep. That's pretty spot on.


Trudi Trueit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trudi Trueit said...

Oops, I accidentally deleted my first post. Just wanted to say that I am thinking of you and wishing you well. My mom and several relatives have RA and I know how difficult and devastating it can be. Lorie, my heart and prayers are with you.