Books by Lorie Ann Grover

Books by Lorie Ann Grover
Kirkus Starred Review, Firstborn: "A fantasy that reads like a lost history tome and deftly examines issues of gender...An engrossing story with welcome depths."

Monday, April 29, 2013

Living with Lupus: After One Hundred Days


Logo from this blog.


One hundred days for this lupus flare came and went, and I decided not to count any longer. This is my new normal.

The second round of prednisone wasn't effective, but I escaped through the withdrawals and compromised immune system without losing any teeth this time! Yay!

A few weeks back, my husband loaded me into the car at dusk and drove me through the neighborhood to see spring had sprung. It was glorious!

With more research, I discovered I need sunscreen at all times, UV clothing doesn't hurt, and to not trust shade as rays bounce. Here's what I've learned regarding the sun triggering lupus:

UV causes skin cells to express proteins, which attract antibodies, which attract white blood cells, which attack skin cells, which leads to inflammation in skin and internal organs.

That's the gist. I read that often lupus patients flare from October to April. That seems pretty close to what I experienced with a little head start in September. 

I am happy to say the symptoms are still continuing to lessen at a snail's pace. A week or so ago I tried an outing alone and ended up crying in Home Improvement on a couch because I was too sick to get through the checkout line. Today I drove myself to the doctor and back home again without difficulty!

Hopefully, this will be the last lupus update for awhile at On Pointe. Thanks for all your prayers and support. They've meant so much!

No comments: