Books by Lorie Ann Grover

Books by Lorie Ann Grover
Kirkus Starred Review, Firstborn: "A fantasy that reads like a lost history tome and deftly examines issues of gender...An engrossing story with welcome depths."

Sunday, August 9, 2009

What a Girl Wants: Tell Me the Truth

Colleen Mondor posted her next entry for What a Girl Wants. This round she asked us about nonfiction for YA. Here's my response. Check in on everyone's input at Chasing Ray!

Lorie Ann Grover: "I do believe teens can access adult nonfiction without hesitation, Colleen. So, this hasn't been a concern for me, currently. However, with two teen girls in my house, I can say that when the perfect topic crosses their path in a YA format, that book is well-loved. A perfect example is Deborah Reber and Lisa Fyfe's In Their Shoes: Extraordinary Women Describe Their Amazing Careers.



The work is toted about, read again and again, and shared with friends. The nonfiction is accessible and pertinent. In the same vein is The Great Jobs series by Blythe Camenson.



Particularly in our house, Great Jobs for Geology Majors and Great Jobs for Anthropology Majors have been checked out repeatedly from the library.

Believing teens can access adult works, I ask myself what subjects are particular to teens that maybe could be explored more? How about: health for teens, more series on careers, dating and relationships, teen finances and savings, and goal setting as a teen. I'm thinking practical topics that are particularly relevant to the teenager.

I'd personally love to see a collection for teens about teen life around the world. Maybe that's a future endeavor for my cultural anthropology major...

No comments: