Thursday, September 20, 2012
Life with Lupus, Fall 2012
Logo from this blog.
It's been two weeks of a lupus flare, and I thought to post in case it's helpful to another. Of course this only encapsulates my limited experience.
The autoimmune disease flare can be awakened by sun exposure. Even with sunscreen, the skin and then internal organs can experience inflammation.
Migraine, flu-like aches, nausea, joint pain, weakness, chills, muscle spasms, rash, darkening of the skin.
Bed rest, short walks when able, no sun exposure (including through windows). A general waiting it out. (Medications are limited for me because I've had cancer.)
Realizing it can last weeks, months, or years.
Seeing photos online verified it could be so much worse.
What I Miss
Sitting in the sun
Attending Bible Study and Sunday worship
Running to meet friends
Shopping for groceries
What I Gain
Time to read, think, pray, and fill my creative pot. Time to rest.
During the 2 weeks, I've read books and listened to sermons. Here are a few highlights:
* We are not made to be great but to see great. Piper
* The worth and excellency of a soul is to be measured by the object of its love. Scougal
* We look at the dark, tangled threads of a tapestry of history from beneath. From above we will see the dark threads are woven into beauty. Ten Boom
* Cling to God through the painful humbling of his trying you. Remain cheerful and charitable in frustrating circumstances. Packer
* Return to eidetic perception: observing, apprehending, and devouring like a child. Berne
* Test yourself by questioning to see if there is any ulterior motive in an exchange in order to reveal whether you are playing a game. Stop it, if discovered. Berne
Those are the highlights from the time of quiet. All good stuff to mull over no matter the circumstances.
This is the start of week three, and I do believe I feel some improvement. I hope so. Thanks to everyone for the phone calls, visits, flowers, and prayers. I appreciate them! Onward!