Books by Lorie Ann Grover

Books by Lorie Ann Grover
Kirkus Starred Review, Firstborn: "A fantasy that reads like a lost history tome and deftly examines issues of gender...An engrossing story with welcome depths."

Monday, February 4, 2013

Life with Lupus: February, 2013


Logo from this blog.

An update! 25 days into my second flare, the prednisone has been more taxing than in the first 2012 episode. As it rattles through me, shutting down my immune system, I'm weak. My friend said if a gust of wind caught my dress, I'd float away.

So here are shout outs for all those tying me down. To my husband, who deals with me being awake until 3 am and then starting the day at 6. He is patient to sleep with the light on, the bath running, the pages rustling. And he hugs me when I'm crying for no good prednisone reason.

To my eldest daughter, who picks up my duties and brings me fabbity food of fun. To my youngest who thinks of me from afar and stops to text.

To my friends and family, who message, cook, send gifties, and spend their time sitting beside me in my bedroom.

To my brother who is flying out to see me!

To my doctors who listen to me and ask what I would like to do.

I'm reading a fascinating book called Shakespeare's Tremor and Orwell's Cough, the Medical Lives of Famous Authors by John J. Ross. Within the section on Herman Melville, who suffered bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and ankylosing spondylitis, is this quote concerning his ability to still write in the midst of his illness:

"it demonstrates how the love, support, and infinite patience of spouses, family, and friends can modify the course of chronic illness for the better."

Thank you for helping me! xox

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you have help right now! Chronic illness is a joy sucker but family and friends can help make things better. <3

*hugs*