Books by Lorie Ann Grover

Books by Lorie Ann Grover
Kirkus Starred Review, Firstborn: "A fantasy that reads like a lost history tome and deftly examines issues of gender...An engrossing story with welcome depths."

Friday, February 27, 2009

Poetry Friday: My Demon

Poetry Friday

My brother surrounds himself with exotic sculptures and imagery. I took several photos on my recent visit, and I hope to use these as points of reference for Poetry Friday. So here goes. Um. I managed to scare myself here..


My Demon

Caught in the shaft of sunshine
my demon halts
in a pouncing pose.

Teeth sever air,
claws click ,
wings rustle
as he waits for me to turn
or the sun to slip.

In the falling haze,
he molts,
flickering colors of hope,
until he leaps
and devours me
in darkness.

Lorie Ann Grover, 2009

Catch the full roundup at Mommy's Favorite Children's Books.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow. Gulp. I'm pretty sure I knew this guy when I was six. He lived under my bed.

Anonymous said...

Ooh. Ni-i-i-ce.

Kelly Polark said...

Great pic and a perfect poem to emphasize its mystery and sinister ways!

I'm Jet . . . said...

I love it -- and love that you're writing on a theme -- of sorts. Lots of territory to cover, I am quite sure.

Can't wait to see where it leads you.

Jet

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Thanks for the great comments, everyone!