Books by Lorie Ann Grover

Books by Lorie Ann Grover
Kirkus Starred Review, Firstborn: "A fantasy that reads like a lost history tome and deftly examines issues of gender...An engrossing story with welcome depths."

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Emotional Journey with a Manuscript

http://worldclips.tv/images/dynamic/HighDesertRoadside.jpg

I just reached the end of a 224 page manuscript. And...it's time to turn back to page one and begin again. I offer this stock photo as my novel is set in a high desert like this one.

That image and finishing another pass brings to mind my stages of the novel. I wonder if this is normal? I have a crazy emotional journey with each that tends to pattern like this:

1. First draft: "I'm writing an AMAZING work!"
2. Handing over the draft for a critique: "Oh, dear. It's actually stupid."
3. Listening to comments: "Maybe it's not so bad."
4. Multiple rewrites: "I'm pulling this up, and it's really not so bad."
5. Final pass: "Woohoo! This is soooo strong."
6. Sending it to my agent: "This is stupid. What was I thinking?"
7. Hearing her affirmation: "Could it be good after all?"
8. Waiting on an editor: "What was I thinking? No, wait. This is a really good work! She should buy it!"
9. Sale: "See. It is good!"
10. Waiting for reviews: "What was I thinking? It's stupid. Everyone will say so."
11. Reviews: "It is good!"
12. Starting a first draft: "I'm writing an AMAZING work!"

This is really what I go through. Oh, my. I exhaust myself. *sigh* Now back to page one.

4 comments:

Maya Ganesan said...

I LOVED reading your pattern! Hilarious and funny.

Ah, you should count yourself lucky that you even get to do a rewrite! I've never gotten past -- what? -- 500 words?

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Oh, Maya! Keep at it and you will! And they will be wonderful words to rewrite. Or at least you will think so, some of the time. :~)

holly cupala said...

This is hilarious! And awfully familiar. I'm so very excited to get to read your work, Lorie Ann. Your voice is beautiful, funny, and meaningful - never stupid.

Leigh Purtill said...

Ah, such a very accurate depiction of the process, at least from my standpoint too. Althoug, I think you're being kind and leaving out a lot of the profanity that is typically involved...:)