Books by Lorie Ann Grover

Books by Lorie Ann Grover
Kirkus Starred Review, Firstborn: "A fantasy that reads like a lost history tome and deftly examines issues of gender...An engrossing story with welcome depths."

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Jump Start Your Creative Writing

I just had a kind reader ask for inspiration to jump start her writing after being away from the creative outlet for a bit. This is definitely a recurring circumstance for me as I step away from novel writing for marketing or board book noodling. So, here's my short response in case it might help another:



I suggest immersing yourself in someone else's writing. That will prime the pump first. Then imitating their work can get the words flowing. Riff off someone else's poem or song or painting and title it "After Van Gogh's Starry Night," etc.
A book like Poemcrazy can give you exercises to work through. And you might find strong poetry emerging in the midst of the read.
For longer works, say a novel, I listen for what makes me angry. Addressing that injustice or falsity is enough to fuel a 2+ year project for me. i.e. gendercide: Firstborn; or losses happen, so how do we dream again (versus Sesame Street/Barney saying we CAN be whatever we want if we try hard enough):On Pointe. There has to be a life truth I'm standing on to drive the work.
Reading, imitating, exercises, pondering what you care about at an emotional level will jump start you for sure. Write what you have lived.

No comments: